Skip to main content

Addicting additives

An addiction... It's so weird to think of addictions for me I always think of drug addicts or smokers but it can be anything from chocolate to makeup. 

We all have addictions at some point. One time I was addicted to reading, all I would do is read. Literally when I woke up I would read- from fantasy to adventure. I loved reading then I had another addiction it was playing games. Again every day I played games on the laptop or TV (back when people played sky games) and then when I was in college I was addicted to studying I loved studying so I'd be studying all the time. Now I've come to a point where shopping is an addiction I mean I have had a shopping phase during college too but now that I don't have studying to distract me I suppose I'm consumed by materialism. I know it's not good I buy unnecessary clothing, coats, shoes and somehow I expect it to make me feel better but it doesn't. I've also started buying make up different colour lipsticks, your highlighter, contour, primer and all that shabang. It's hard to stop it really is. I like dressing up nicely and looking funky. I know I need to stop but addictions are hard to beat and harder to let go because somewhere you think it makes you happy even though it doesn't. You become so accustomed to it it's like a part of you- you want it to fill the emptiness but it doesn't.

Instead it plunges you down into more misery realising it doesn't. I know there are make up artists or make up lovers who probably think well it doesn't make me miserable! And yeah if you like make up that's cool I'm not slaying it I'm saying for me personally I'm not a makeup addict or a shopping addict & it always feels misplaced if I become one.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with me and how I'm going to beat my addiction. As part of an addiction you tend to think 'I'll stop just after this one last time this one last buy I'll have everything anyway I won't need to buy anymore' it's a horrible mentality and I want to kick it so bad.

I can safely say that this addiction is rooted in my low self esteem and poor image of myself. I suppose in a way I want appreciation or is admiration? Who knows- most of the time I'm still trying to figure out who I am. Anyway the point is whatever your addiction is mainly for girls (makeup and clothes) you first need to accept its an addiction. And you should probably also clarify on whether you think it's good or bad for you now what I mean by that is , someone who has a passion for makeup would want to buy lots of makeup it may be an addiction but they want it so it's not bad I suppose. But if you feel like it's not really you or you think it's bad in someway you may need to sort your thoughts on it.

It may also help to talk about it with someone close to you a friend or relative about what they think- if it's bad or good whether or not it's an addiction. Sometimes you can't always tell if it's an addiction or not so may you need an outsider view. It may also be good to reflect on the more core issues to this addiction- why are you addicted? Other than the fact that it's nice - does it make you feel a certain way etc.?

Once you've found out those issues then you can work on them to slowly start kicking it off.


This doesn't stop here, because I've still got this addiction I'm going to write tips when I've managed to let go so we can be on the journey together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most important daily habit

 Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,  After a very long time I came across my blog once again and I decided I wanted to write something that I hope will benefit you inshaAllah.   I have found memorizing quran to be something I consistently struggle with mainly keeping a habit of it. Here are some tips I have found that helped me to make progress in my memorisation.   1. Think about the importance of the Quran, we know as muslims it is divine guidance so why would we not want to read and memorise it? The more we memorise the more we can use in our salah which should also help with our khushoo too inshaAllah.  This particularly helps if you are falling short of doing it daily, I know I have slacked and completely stopped memorizing for a while but when I really think about how important it is I make it a priority to do it.  2. Set a daily timer for it, build up to 30mins maybe start with 10mins the point is to be consistent as we know the consistent actions are the most beloved

Delay

Apologies for delay in posting, been having a struggle within myself. Will post an article soon or something else, please forgive me. 

Running to the Docks

So last week I went to the royal docks- well that's pretty ordinary, no idea why you decided to mention it as a post Well guys, I ran there. I knew the course roughly via barking road until you need to turn towards Newham University Hospital, from there its straight until you get to Prince Regent DLR and then a right and about 10minutes will you get you to Royal Victoria DLR. It's a simple route, but I did get lost at the T-junction towards Custom House or Eastham, luckily I had my phone on hand to guide me.  The route was easy enough, I have ran to Plaistow a couple of times, so that was familiar, from then, it was touch and go. However with such a long route you do need pitstops. My pitstop was Newham University Hospital, they have a toilet and a prayer room, what more could you ask for? Plus it was Sunday, so it was practically empty!But other pitstops could be Westfield, from Plaistow you just follow it round, but that would be a detour from the route so I found