Skip to main content

Run like Mad

I've been running for about two months now and I've picked up a few things that may or may not be of interest to you in any case read on if you'd like to know.

1)Firstly, setting up a running routine is good because you know exactly when you want to run and you can fit in your other life around it, this includes the time of day you want to run and where, as well as for how long. I run in my local park which is about a 10minute walk from my house, however some people don't have park that's close in that case you could run in the local area. I also run for 30-40mins on Wednesday and Friday this equals to about 3laps around my park, the reason why it's good to round it to laps is so you don't have to check the time. I usually do a long run on Sunday for about an hour. I usually run after breakfast but as I tend to write in the mornings if I wake up late it can be early afternoon too.
2)Next, at the beginning you might not experience running injuries but after a few weeks you may start notice pain in your calf or ankle, this is normal but you should try to do specific warm up exercises. I usually have problems in my left leg around the outer area of my calf and ankle, so I do specific exercises for my ankle (see ankle exercises) stretching before you run is always good and now I usually do a 5min stretch before running.
This are a few exercises that are useful, I do some of these. These were taken from Barrios, Dagny- Runner's World: Complete Book of Women's Running 





The following are for ankle and hamstrings. These were taken from Google images. 



3)At the beginning I didn't use to carry anything except my mp3 but now I've realised different weather permits different things. So if it's a particularly sunny day I have to bring sun lotion, my skin is quite sensitive and I've had a sun burn when I was younger, so i usually carry travel sun lotion it can easily fit in my pocket so that's good. I also carry a watch this is just so I have a general idea of what time it is, and I carry vaseline. This is because my lips become quite dry when I run. I also carry water at the beginning I used to run with my water but now I leave it in a carrier bag and hang it on a tree and after every lap I have a little this is because I find I don't actually need that much water, however for the first month I was actually quite scared not to have water on me in case I had some urgent case of dehydration!

Of course my mp3, my mp3 is a very cheap basic one from argos at £10 this is the exact one.  I didn't need anything fancy just to do the job of listening to motivational songs while running. The next one is a new addition and it's because I've had frequent injuries, muscle pain relief. I have one in the form of a ibuprofen gel, and I put it in a small travel size eyeshadow pot. You can buy these as part of a travel pack from the pound shop. Make sure if you apply some that you wait 4hours to apply anymore even though it's gel it's still sinking into skin and shouldn't be used excessively. The image below is what I take with me on a normal day so not too sunny and not too cold. 


4)I actually learnt this from reading running books, applying vaseline to your feet and other areas that have more friction with your clothes. This keeps it moist and it feels quite nice.
5)Okay this one is a bit obvious but ill just say it anyway. What to wear when running, in my opinion you shouldn't wear anything that's too thick like a puffer jacket or long parkas (unless it's in winter even then I'd recommend thermal tops and jumpers, which are easily available at sports direct) I suggest having specific running clothes. Jogging bottoms with pockets are good because you can carry important things and it doesn't disturb your running but a bag would and so would placing things inside pockets of a hoody. They can also fall out when running too and that's annoying. I think running clothes should be basic and unrestrictive, it should make running easier.

 As a Muslim I'd suggest long tops and a hoody or jacket with jogging bottoms. I usually wear my rain trousers just because when they get dirty its really easy to clean. As for hijab, I'd suggest something that won't make you too hot and can easily stay on as running can cause your hijab to move quite a bit. I know you can buy those ready made turbans which fit on your head, those may be good or even just a head cap (which is what I wear). I wear a head cap and put my hood over it and although I do look quite strange, I don't really care.

Also in summer wearing a hat might be good too to avoid too much harsh sun rays. In winter I'd suggest getting some thermal leggings for underneath your joggers and maybe a hat and gloves.

5)Also you don't have to carry everything I know people are quite wary of leaving their things in parks but you might be surprised at 1)how no-one pays attention 2how people don't actually care. I leave all the stuff I don't urgently need on hand in a carrier bag hanging on a tree. Of course if you aren't running in a park you won't be able to do this so you might have to carry them. Just try to get small sizes and put them in small pots. That way they'll be small and won't feel heavy.

6)I have anxiety and if I'm honest a few months ago if you'd told me I'd be running in a park I'd have been like yeah right. I mean I have run before in my local area but I didn't keep it up because I felt silly as a Muslim, I kept thinking people probably think I look so this and that... But you know what running has taught me not to care. I'm running because I want to, I want to stay fit, I like running, and that's all the reason I need. I do get funny looks, but I really could not care, I'm in my zone! My point is if you're worried too, don't be! Just go for it!

7)My family have come to realise it's a part of me now too and often ask me when I will be running. This is good because 1)reinforces that I run 2)on my lazy days it motivates me. So let your friends and family know and that way you can keep it up!

Running is addictive so don't be surprised if you start running regularly!

8)My sisters often say to me, I want to run but I don't know how. Everyone knows how to run. When we need the bus we run. If we were being chased we would run. It's more about confidence I think. Running in front of people. If you're scared try walking first and jog here and there no pressure, you can build it up from there. Also try going in the morning so there's less people I find 10am is a good time there's usually hardly anyone around in parks.

9)Lastly I also learnt this from a running book, when you run try to keep your head up and your back straight. Don't slouch and don't lean forward when running. Try to imagine someone pushing you from behind. Also try landing on the middle of your feet instead of the ball or tip. Your arms should be about 90degree angle. See image below. 


10)Okay one more thing, read! Reading up on running teaches you things. I've read two really awesome books about running the first one is Heminsley, Alexandra- Running Like a Girl. This book is very useful and it specifically addresses women. Also it's motivating and inspiring. Don't worry it's not a boring non fiction book she writes it very well and I found it very easy to read, she also put a lot of funny stories in there too! This book taught me the things I said I learnt from books. The other book which didn't teach me alot but I still enjoyed reading was Murakami, Haruki- What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. It had stories in there too and it was quite interesting to see how running and writing relate for him.


& 11)Another thing, when you have money (I don't that's why I said when you have!) it might be a good thing to invest in compression socks, thats also meant to be good at circulating blood and may help to prevent injuries. As well as good sports bra that's obviously to help keep you supported. Alexandra recommends Shock Absorber apparently it's been around for quite some time and she says it does a good job. And lastly good running shoes. Depending on your feet (high arch etc.) you may want to get specific shoes.
That's all folks! If you have any questions feel free to email me and although I'm no running expert we can still discuss it together! Elastix86@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most important daily habit

 Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,  After a very long time I came across my blog once again and I decided I wanted to write something that I hope will benefit you inshaAllah.   I have found memorizing quran to be something I consistently struggle with mainly keeping a habit of it. Here are some tips I have found that helped me to make progress in my memorisation.   1. Think about the importance of the Quran, we know as muslims it is divine guidance so why would we not want to read and memorise it? The more we memorise the more we can use in our salah which should also help with our khushoo too inshaAllah.  This particularly helps if you are falling short of doing it daily, I know I have slacked and completely stopped memorizing for a while but when I really think about how important it is I make it a priority to do it.  2. Set a daily timer for it, build up to 30mins maybe start with 10mins the point is to be consistent as we know the consistent actions are the most beloved

Delay

Apologies for delay in posting, been having a struggle within myself. Will post an article soon or something else, please forgive me. 

Running to the Docks

So last week I went to the royal docks- well that's pretty ordinary, no idea why you decided to mention it as a post Well guys, I ran there. I knew the course roughly via barking road until you need to turn towards Newham University Hospital, from there its straight until you get to Prince Regent DLR and then a right and about 10minutes will you get you to Royal Victoria DLR. It's a simple route, but I did get lost at the T-junction towards Custom House or Eastham, luckily I had my phone on hand to guide me.  The route was easy enough, I have ran to Plaistow a couple of times, so that was familiar, from then, it was touch and go. However with such a long route you do need pitstops. My pitstop was Newham University Hospital, they have a toilet and a prayer room, what more could you ask for? Plus it was Sunday, so it was practically empty!But other pitstops could be Westfield, from Plaistow you just follow it round, but that would be a detour from the route so I found